Saturday, July 17, 2010

Inception - Ellen Page

This week’s thriller Inception gave us another chance to see the lovely young Canadian actress Ellen Page. She was well known for her role as the title character in the film Juno which got her both Golden Globe and Academy Award nominations for Best Actress in 2007.


Although being described as Hollywood’s next rising star and nominated for Time's 100 Most Influential People list in 2008, Ellen Page isn’t interested in being a celebrity. She reckons it’s best to stay out of the paparazzi spotlight of Los Angeles and keep things low key. “I think if you want it and you want to live that way, you can.”, she admitted during an interview, “and you can also choose to totally not live that way. I’m from Nova Scotia. I don’t know, it’s just not me. And I think you can avoid it.” He lives in a small apartment in her home town in Canada, drives a used car. “I think you can lose your equilibrium,” she once said. “But I think that has a lot to do with how your personality chooses to handle it. I mean I have my own place in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and that’s where I like to spend my free time. I think being here where I’m from – which is a small city on the east coast of Canada – there’s just a different mentality here.” She adds: “I’m doing it (movie) because I feel really passionate. If I wanted to be in LA and do that thing, I could do that. But Halifax is my homebase.”

“Acquiring things fills me with anxiety,” says Page, now 23. “I’m constantly trying to give away things.” Her un-Hollywood-like lifestyle does not seem to hurt the easygoing young actress’s career. This week, she co-stars with leonardo DiCaprio in the highly anticipated sci-fi thriller Inception. With regarding to her future project, she said “I don’t think I have any rules. I just love to go with the flow and be happy and creative and still feel that passion. I definitely don’t want to lose that.”

Ellen Page was born on February 21, 1987, the daughter of a teacher mother and a graphic designer father. She began acting at age 4 and first acted in front of the camera in 1997 at age 10 in a television movie. When she was 13, she was offered a role in a high profile sitcom but her parents made her turn it down, telling her she was too young to handle the pressures of fame. She’s glad her parents refused to let her become a child star. While she admits to being angry at that time, she now sees their decision was “a good thing”: “I would have had to move to LA and I can’t even imagine what I would be like now. [My parents] said keep up your grades and then you can act.

This reminds me Lindsay Lohan, another Hollywood young actress of almost the same age. She began her career as a child fashion model before making her motion picture debut in 1998 at the age of 11. She certainly has her talent as an actress, model and pop singer-songwriter. Unfortunately, what we know most is the significant publicity surrounding her personal life, including rehabilitation for drug and alcohol addiction, and DUI convictions


You can choose your life, right? Sometimes, maybe not.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous25 July, 2010

    On July 20, 2010, Lohan appeared in Los Angeles court and was taken into custody to begin her 90 day jail term for violation of her probation. According to County Sheriff spokesperson, Lindsay might remain behind bars for only 51 days if she is a model prisoner because jails in L.A. are over crowded. If Lohan will behave properly, it is likely that Lindsay would walk free in about a week-and-a-half. Meanwhile, there is rumor that Lohan inked a post-jail tell-all interview deal before going to the prison.

    Dear Judge, if you really care about the poor girl, please make her serve her full 90-day sentence!

    Dear Media, if you really care about this lost soul, please leave her alone!

    ReplyDelete